Alignment tool to adjust and sum woofer & port levels in REW Mac - pro upgrade?

couch

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
BAT VK-90
Main Amp
BAT Rex3 monoblocks
Other Amp
BRZHIFI Hood 1969 Class A
DAC
exaSound e62
Computer Audio
Mac Mini 2015 with UPtone LPS/fan controller. JRiver software
Streaming Equipment
Cambridge Audio CXN v2
Streaming Subscriptions
Amazon Prime video, Netflix, Criterion Collection
Front Speakers
Von Schweikert VR 44s, Townshend seismic bars
Other Speakers
Heavily modded Optimus LX 5s
Video Display Device
LG 40" 4K UHD OLED
Other Equipment
Synology NAS on CyberPower pure sine UPS
I'm new to REW and successfully making nearfield and farfield measurements to baseline some speakers prior to tracking mods. Following napilopez's good guide in Audio Science Review for quasi-anechoic measurements. My speaker is a mini-monitor with a 6.25" nominal woofer and two 0.5" ports that flare to 0.75." I am ready to apply offsets to align near field LF SPL plots of ports and woofer and then plot the aligned sum, which I will then want to splice into my 1 M farfield trace. Napilopez's guide shows an REW "alignment tool" under the controls menu with several available actions including sliders/text fields to apply offset for the port SPLs and a summing button. I don't see any of those things under the controls menu on my free copy for the Mac. Is this a Windows-only feature, a pro upgrade feature (happy to upgrade if so), or am I looking in the wrong place?

Also, how do I work with the three separate traces in the one window to do this manipulation? Napilopez shows a screen shot but doesn't say how the traces got there. Does the overlay window work for this if the alignment tool is present, or do I treat them as multiple inputs (I'd prefer not to do the measurement again if I can avoid it)?

Thanks for any insight!

- couch

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Click on the All SPL graph button, the alignment tool is in the controls for that graph.

couch

Registered
More  
BAT VK-90
Main Amp
BAT Rex3 monoblocks
Other Amp
DAC
exaSound e62
Computer Audio
Streaming Equipment
Cambridge Audio CXN v2
Streaming Subscriptions
Front Speakers
Other Speakers
Video Display Device
LG 40" 4K UHD OLED
Other Equipment
Thank you! I see it now, and the three traces of interest appear concurrently as desired. And my compliments on a wonderful application.

couch

Registered
More  
BAT VK-90
Main Amp
BAT Rex3 monoblocks
Other Amp
DAC
exaSound e62
Computer Audio
Streaming Equipment
Cambridge Audio CXN v2
Streaming Subscriptions
Front Speakers
Other Speakers
Video Display Device
LG 40" 4K UHD OLED
Other Equipment
I have now created the aligned sum trace from the woofer and ports, and am ready to apply the compensating offset from the baffle diffraction, as provided by Jeff Bagby's Baffle Diffraction and Boundary Simulator tool. However, that Excel workbook uses ActiveX, which is not available on the Mac (my platform) and is in any case deprecated for security reasons. Can someone recommend a way (either another application that can generate a curve usable directly by REW, or a step-by-step procedure to create the compensation manually, either in another application whose outputs can be entered in REW, or in REW directly? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

phil faulds

What would it take to get this option on the Windows version? Put it in the Pro version maybe? It would cost less than a bloody Mac. :)

phil faulds

REW's functionality is the same on all supported platforms.
I must be doing something wrong then.
Here's what I see when I click on the Controls icon from the All SPLs tab. No Alignment Tool option.
1724937000064.png

Top Bottom