Analyzing Recordings made on ProTools of Interrupted Noise Method (ISO 3382-1) on REW

arianapu

Registered
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some help with analyzing recordings I made using Pro Tools for the interrupted noise method as specified in ISO 3382-1. I've imported the audio files into REW as impulse responses, but the calculated values for T30, T20, and EDT seem incorrect (displayed in orange). The EDT is longer than T20 and T30, which isn't the expected order.

I'd appreciate any insights on how to properly analyze these recordings in REW to obtain accurate reverberation time (RT) values.

The following picture is a ISO 3382 Parameters display from the RT60 view after importing one of the interrupted noise method recordings (room's response to broad band pink noise) as an impulse response on REW.
1721770153381.png

I would really appreciate any help regarding this issue.

arianapu

Registered
REW only analyses impulse responses, it can't calculate RT60 data from interrupted noise.
Hello John!

Thank you so much for your response.

Do you know of a program or alternative that can analyze my interrupted noise recordings to identify T30?

Ariana

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Sorry Ariana, I don't. Interrupted noise for RT60 is largely obsolete these days, since the results from analysing an impulse response are much more reliable.

afmpb9574549

Registered
For your knowledge: for the interrupted noise you can use the software "Spectra Plus". Not free and expensive bat it's possible to download a fully active release for 30 days. The interrupted noise is used, for example, in ISO 354 for the measurement of the absorbing coefficient (alfa) of materials. I always used it in INRIM (the national metrological italian institute). Comparing REW with impulse response and Spectra Plus with interrupted noise I found small differencies in lowest frequencies (< 100 Hz), having all the same conditions. In a laboratory reverberating room (RT60 = 17 s @100 Hz, real, true!).

Top Bottom