Confused about how the impulse response is calculated in REW

bayesian2024

Registered
I know some basic signal processing and I'm trying to reconcile that with how impulse response is calculated in REW. I read through the support page on the IR window settings, but I was having trouble understanding most of it.

Let's say you take a subwoofer measurement from 0 to 187.4995 hz. Then this will leave you with a frequency response of 513 frequencies since the frequencies are spaced 0.36621 hz apart. Call that vector of complex responses H. Now if you take that complex vector of frequency of 513 frequencies and append on the complex conjugate of frequencies 2 through 513 in reverse order you'll have a complex vector of size 1024 that we'll call H_full. My understanding is if you take the inverse FFT of H_full you should get the impulse response. When I do this in R, I don't get an impulse response that corresponds to what I get in REW.

How is what REW doing different than my basic understanding of the impulse response being the inverse FFT of the frequency response? Is there a way to adjust the settings to calculate the impulse response in this basic way? Or would I not want to calculate it in this basic way in the first place?

Top Bottom