33 in
Middle Height Speakers
30 in
Rear Height Speakers
57 in
Video Display Device
X11/VGA + X11/DVI
Hi,

I used REW to generate wav impulse files for room correction, 44, 48 and 96 kHz. Imported into easyeffect convolver filter on Fedora 40 using the method described in

Best results so far compared to parametric equalizer. However, I have 44 and 48 kHz audio material, not to mention 5.1 encoded material (DTS, PCM, Dolby digital) to be processed by my Logitech Z906 (SPDIF).

Problem: easyeffects seems unable to pick the proper impulse file matching the sampling rate automatically and I have to load it manually each time audio material uses a different sampling rate than the preceding audio materiel. E.g. are my old mp3 (several GB) are sampled at 44, most videos audio at 48, older videos at 44. For the 5.1 material, just forget it for now, easyeffect being stereo only.

Of course when I use different sampling rate for audio material and impulse file, the result is off, far from optimal.

Fedora 40 is using pipewire for audio.

Any idea or suggestion?

phofman

Problem: easyeffects seems unable to pick the proper impulse file matching the sampling rate automatically and I have to load it manually each time audio material uses a different sampling rate than the preceding audio materiel.
IIUC this feature is not planned on implementing https://github.com/wwmm/easyeffects/issues/1558 . Therefore, have you considered configuring PW to run at a single samplerate, resampling all input clients to this common samplerate?

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX, Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
@linuxonly you might take a look at the Hang Loose Convolver... It can do the filter matching to sample rate and is multichannel...

linuxonly

More  
Logitech Z906
DAC
AMD FCH Azalia
Computer Audio
SPDIF output with alsa, pipewire, wireplumber on Fedora 40
Streaming Equipment
Kodi
Front Height Speakers
33 in
Middle Height Speakers
30 in
Rear Height Speakers
57 in
Video Display Device
X11/VGA + X11/DVI
@linuxonly Hang Loose Convolver

Interesting, thanks. However it's only for Windows 10/11, Mac and Ubuntu. I'm on Fedora 40 / Debian 12.

Additionally, they don't support Windows 7, which means their perpetual licence worth nothing whenever you don't want to upgrade Windows for whatever reason.

rattus

More  
Front Speakers
ADAM A5X
Subwoofers
ADAM Sub 8
HLC looks interesting albeit rather expensive. I just tried it on Debian 12 and the plugin host started and loaded but as I didn't want to spend too much time and I use JACK with configured EQ plugin as default audio, I didn't test it with audio.

Pipewire has a native filter chain module which may work for you. Documentation is sparse although I did manage to set up its parametric EQ filter on a different system and it works really well. It's all text file configuration so may be an exercise in nerdery to implement.
There should be an example file at /usr/share/pipewire/filter-chain/sink-virtual-surround-5.1-kemar.conf although you would need to modify it as shown in the above Gitlab link for proper 5.1 output.

linuxonly

More  
Logitech Z906
DAC
AMD FCH Azalia
Computer Audio
Streaming Equipment
Kodi
Front Height Speakers
33 in
Middle Height Speakers
30 in
Rear Height Speakers
57 in
Video Display Device
X11/VGA + X11/DVI
@rattus

Those links are very interesting. Thanks a lot for that. Will definetely dig deeper. There is indeed a /usr/share/pipewire/filter-chain/sink-virtual-surround-5.1-kemar.conf on Fedora 40 however I have a priority right now: the newly released kernel 6.10.4 had pipewire to create nodes for hdmi a52/AC3 audio and I have nothing connected to hdmi. Those nodes are badly interfering with SPDIF as they have very similar names and it's not uncommon on reboot that I have no audio at all and have to restore from backup, so please excuse me if I'm slow to reply. Fixing that will likely take some time. Last kernel issue I wanted fixed took 3 months and it was a very simple one, like 2 lines of code. That's Fedora.

OTOH, I wonder how I would do to measure my FC, LFE, RR and RL channels as REW does not see them due to java limitation as John explained. The only way I see to output something to any of them is to use a 5.1 audio file. Food for thought. This data is required to build the filter chain.

Maybe buying that inexpensive HDMI to SPDIF converter now that I have (broken) pipewire hdmi nodes. I had a peek with pavucontrol and all the 6 channels are visible and could be tested. It doesn't work naturally, but the potential is there.

Fortunately, my Debian 12 system is analog stereo, so it's already configured using easyeffects. Glad to read HLC works on Debian, however easyeffects is dpoing the job allright already.

Best regards

linuxonly

More  
Logitech Z906
DAC
AMD FCH Azalia
Computer Audio
Streaming Equipment
Kodi
Front Height Speakers
33 in
Middle Height Speakers
30 in
Rear Height Speakers
57 in
Video Display Device
X11/VGA + X11/DVI
Maybe buying that inexpensive HDMI to SPDIF converter now that I have (broken) pipewire hdmi nodes. I had a peek with pavucontrol and all the 6 channels are visible and could be tested. It doesn't work naturally, but the potential is there.
Tested. Does not work as I expected. I do have sound via hdmi, 5.1 passthrough works too, but as far as REW is concerned, it's still a stereo device. Returning the device because it only adds a supplemental level of complexity and adds nothing, not to mention the reconfiguration nightmare: alsa pipewire wireplumber kodi mpv mplayer vlc totem...

Top Bottom