First REW results - any thoughts?

Cary

Registered
Very excited to finally get my first measurements last night.

Now that I have everything working, and calibrated correctly (I hope) I’m hoping to learn a lot more about this.

Setup:
Using a UMIK-1 with a Windows 10 64 bit laptop, downloaded the mic calibration file and jumped into measurements. My initial SPL values were wildly high, showing 130dB with my MV around the -20 range.
Using the SPL meter and generator function I believe I calibrated my soundcard correctly? (to 75dB) At this point my results seemed to be much more in line with what I would expect.

Hoping someone can help me interpret my results, provide some insight into what I need to do, and point me in the right direction of things to learn so I can understand what I’m seeing.

I also have a few questions regarding the “process”.
  1. Should my initial tests be done with or without Audyssey enabled? I took measurements with Audyssey and without, but my understanding is initial tests should be done without Audyssey. This allows you to get a baseline and then see what areas need to be treated or changed, once that’s taken care of, you can run Audyssey and it should be able to smooth things out even further.

2. Should my initial measurements be in the MLP, or should I take multiple measurements across the sofa and then average?

3. Should I leave current room treatments up? Or should they be removed for a room only measurement?

4. What would be the recommended game plan or 1st things to look into fixing? I know there are a lot of articles out there around REW, but not sure if it’s a situation where there would be some low hanging fruit that might make the most differences?

I’m attaching my initial test results, with and without Audyssey. The room also has 2” rockwool 60 1st reflection point acoustic panels, 4” rockwool 60 rear acoustic panels on the wall behind the sofa and 4” rockwool 60 panels in the front 2 corners. (All panels are DIY 24” x 48” with varying thickness)

I can easily remove all acoustic panels over the next day or two if I should before taking the next measurements.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Attachments

• Full - w Audy - Rear Treatment.mdat
    12.1 MB · Views: 33
  • Full - No Audy - Rear Treatment.mdat
    12.1 MB · Views: 37
  • Sub Only - w Audy - Rear Treatment.mdat
    446.2 KB · Views: 21
Top Bottom