Video Display Device
LG TV
Remote Control
yes
Satellite System
no
Other Equipment
no
Aspiring audiophile here. Just starting up the learning curve. I recently acquired REW and UMIK and have been baselining all my gear. I have two cars with optional audio systems -- one is Harman Kardon and the other is Bang & Olufsen. My HT system is a modest Yamaha/Klipsch 5.1 bookshelf system. i had previously fiddled with the equalizers and tuned them by ear to the best of my ability. I then measured each with REW RTA to establish a baseline and found the cars to have similar responses to pink noise, but the HT looks very different.

The cars consistently show a much heavier bass response than my HT system. When I crank up the bass on my home receiver to match the cars it becomes grossly overpowering. If I try to match my cars to the HT system, they sound weak and thin.

Why is this? Could it be that road and wind noise in a car tends to subdue the low frequencies and compensation is required? Do cars and home theater systems like different house curves?

Here are the RTA curves. The red one is the home theater system. They all sound good to my wooden ears. Comments are welcomed.

1727534795599.png

Last edited:

sm52

Setting bass levels at home and in the car should definitely be different. On the road, some of the sound is lost. Due to tire noise, engine noise, and salon resonances.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
It's common for cars to require more low end to overcome road noise.

Regards,
Wayne

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Does your Volvo have the Harman system with Dirac Unison? I was in one recently and it was among the best I’ve heard!

My experience with the response shapes and how they sound in car vs home is the same. More bass for the car.
When I saw JL audio used a similar target response for car “tuning” , I accepted it as the norm.
IMG_1189.png

With a little smoothing applied and adjusting the x axis range, this very close to your Volvo measurement.

Dyno

Registered
More  
Streaming Equipment
Yes
Streaming Subscriptions
Netfkix, Spotify
Screen
65"
Video Display Device
LG TV
Remote Control
yes
Satellite System
no
Other Equipment
no
Does your Volvo have the Harman system with Dirac Unison? I was in one recently and it was among the best I’ve heard!

My experience with the response shapes and how they sound in car vs home is the same. More bass for the car.
When I saw JL audio used a similar target response for car “tuning” , I accepted it as the norm.

With a little smoothing applied and adjusting the x axis range, this very close to your Volvo measurement.
The Volvo has the B&O system. I don't have a lot of experience with other systems, but it sounds pretty good to me. The curve was from a preset equalizer curve labeled "Dynamic".

In fact, it made my HT system sound bad by comparison. That's what prompted me to acquire REW/UMIK. Now, after hours of EQing, I'm happy with it.

The BMW HK system seems just a little muddier to me, especially at low volumes, but I can't point to any issues with the frequency response plot.

Top Bottom