How Does Klipsch's Dirac Capable Flexus Core 300 Soundbar Actually Sound? We've Got Details and a First Impression Review

full?d=1726158379.png

(September 11, 2024) Dirac Live room correction was originally launched as a solution for tech-savvy, computer-toting audio enthusiasts. If you weren't a card-carrying member of that crowd, you'd likely heard Dirac discussed with reverence but had little real-world experience with its nuanced ability to measure and optimize a system's sound. Fortunately, the company had bigger plans for its product portfolio and spent the last 12 years laying the groundwork for a more mainstream approach. Today's Dirac Live is found on a wide variety of consumer-focused AVRs, processors, and streamers, sporting a retooled level of usability that makes it accessible to the masses.

Recognizing its appeal and cachet, Klipsch is leaning heavily on Dirac with its latest product announcement – but this time, things are different. For the first time ever, Dirac Live is packaged with a soundbar. In this case, it's baked into Klipsch's Flexus Core 300 (MSRP $999), which sits atop a trio of Flexus soundbar models.

With Dirac Live onboard, the Flexus Core 300 can more readily integrate with any listening space, mitigating room-specific acoustic issues by correcting the magnitude and phase response of the entire sound system. The result? A more transparent and balanced sound that's graced by tighter bass, improved staging, and enhanced clarity. During a recent media event at CEDIA 2024 (watch the full event, here), I had an opportunity to hear the Flexus Core 300 in action as part of a larger Flexus system consisting of two newly launched 12" wireless Flexus Sub 200s ($499 each) and Flexus Surround 200 Atmos-capable wireless surround speakers ($399 pair).

Considering the demo room's large size, the Flexus system was able to muster quite a bit of low-end output. However, my sonic sensibilities had me feeling as if the overall presentation was cooked slightly too hot. The new 12" subs definitely pack a punch, though, and would breathe easily in most moderately sized home environments. For those moments where even more bass is desired, a traditional wired sub can be run in tandem with a dual Sub 200 wireless arrangement. So, owners can definitely arm the Flexus Core 300 with plenty of LFE muscle, and they can use Dirac to tame or goose output to suit their own taste. The latter point is worth emphasizing because Dirac allows owners to set target output curves that shape perceived sound. Using the demo room as an example, if it were my system, I'd simply open Dirac and instruct it to pull back on the bass attack; I'm confident the system has enough dynamic range to allow for lots of fine-tuning.

The Flexus Core 300 soundbar is natively capable of high output and an appealing, rounded presentation. I could detect a height to its sound presentation, so its Atmos capabilities shouldn't be ignored, and dialog was locked in and intelligible. The million-dollar question is: How much did Dirac Live's implementation play into its sonic prowess? Unfortunately, it's hard to say. Media attendees were played demo clips with Dirac engaged but weren't given an opportunity to hear the Flexus Core 300 system with Dirac turned off. Personally, I'd hedge my bet that Dirac is an asset that's worth the extra coin, but we'll need to wait for a more hands-on review to confirm that conclusion.

The Flexus Core 300 is a solid-looking speaker, and its size is notable. While it sits just 3" high, Klipsch engineers managed to cram 13 speakers into its 54" wide, 35-pound frame. They consist of two up-firing, two side-firing, and four front-firing 2.25" drivers, complemented by four 4" built-in subwoofers. There's also a dedicated center channel equipped with Klipsch’s own horn-loaded tweeter technology. That speaker array can handle both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X presentations, which are natively decoded by the soundbar itself.

Klipsch's Marcus Buckler told me the soundbar can independently play down to 43 Hz, with the additional 12" subs taking matters even deeper to 23 Hz. The included Dirac Live Limited Bandwidth license gives owners the ability to correct up to 500Hz, with the option to buy both Full Bandwidth and Bass Control licenses separately.

It's important to note the Flexus Core 300 treats all connected subwoofers as a single bass channel, so you won't ultimately realize the same Bass Control results as compared to a system with multiple independent subwoofer outputs. Dirac representatives say this version of Bass Control unlocks additional levels of control, stating, "Bass Control is a completely different set of algorithms that are supplied with that particular license. What Bass Control does is harmonize the perception of bass in that region, so you avoid peaks and dips that can appear with standing bass waves and other types of characteristics that would occur normally." In other words, you should experience better results – or at least different ones – compared to the Limited Bandwidth license alone.

Connectivity-wise, the Flexus Core 300 carries a single HDMI 2.1 input that includes eARC functionality, along with a single HDMI 2.1 output for passthrough to a display. It also carries an optical and sub port.

Klipsch’s new Connect Plus app for iOS and Android devices provides owners with one-tap access to input selections, EQ presets, firmware and feature updates, and includes controls for a comprehensive offering of streaming options. Those options include AirPlay, Google Cast, Spotify, and Tidal Connect. The soundbar also supports IP control with all of the usual suspects (Control4, Crestron, etc.).

If all of this sounds interesting, you'll have to be patient. Klipsch says the Flexus Core 300 is currently scheduled to begin shipping "sometime this winter."

To learn more, watch the entire Klipsch, Dirac, and THX media launch event held at CEDIA 2024 (below) or visit www.klipsch.com.

Links to Flexus Soundbar and Accessory Speakers on Amazon*:

Related Reading:
*AV NIRVANA is reader and viewer supported. We may receive a small commission from affiliate links at no additional cost to you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom