Front Speakers
Dali
Front Wide Speakers
Dali
Center Channel Speaker
Dali
Surround Speakers
Dali
Incredibly frustrating experience trying to use REW with my Marantz AV10.

REW Platform:
Dell 10th gen I5 CPU with Windows 11 Home (has USB-C ports only)
USB-C to HDMI adapter – output to Marantz processor uses Intel® Display Audio
USB-C to USB adapter – Umik-2 microphone
REW 5.31.3 (same issues occurred with 5.31.2)
FlexASIO latest version (had similar issues with ASIO4All)
Configured to use WindowsDirect; input and output set to 24-bi5 48kHz

The problem is the AV10 only reports the REW audio from laptop as L & R instead of Multi-Ch PCM. As such, I cannot isolate LFE content for measurement. Within REW, I see the 8 channel output selection but any output is processed as L & R only by the AV10.

I have an AV7705 in another room – I tried using REW there (same laptop, cables, etc.). Initially had the same problem and eventually uninstalled and reinstalled REW and FlexASIO. After much effort with different settings, I eventually got the AV7705 to see Multi-Ch 7.1 PCM input and was able to run sound sweeps to each channel individually, most importantly, isolating LFE for measurement.

I move the laptop, cables etc, back to the AV10 without changing anything – again processor only sees L & R input signal. Moved back to the AV7705 and also stuck with it only seeing L & R input signal.

Again uninstalled REW (including preferences) and FlexASIO. Reinstalled REW and FlexASIO. AV7705 showing 7.1 PCM input – working. Shut it down for the night and restarted the next day – again, everything working on AV7705.

Saved all preferences, noted all settings and moved to AV10 (again, with same PC and cables) – AV10 still only sees L & R input signal. Moved back to AV7705 – and only see L & R input signal again.

I am completely baffled as to where exactly the issue is and what it might be.

When it’s working, I can go into Windows Sound Settingsà Marantz AVR output à and click TEST and it will cycle a chime through all 8 channels (this is without REW running). When not working, the TEST chime is only on L & R channels.

I will connect back to the AV10 and try uninstall/reinstalling everything once again…but wondering if anyone has navigated this issue and found a resolution…???

John Mulcahy

REW Author
When it’s working, I can go into Windows Sound Settingsà Marantz AVR output à and click TEST and it will cycle a chime through all 8 channels (this is without REW running). When not working, the TEST chime is only on L & R channels.
Which suggests it is nothing to do with REW or FlexASIO. Sometimes the issue is that a downstream device on the AV (e.g. a TV) is reporting itself back up through the HDMI chain as stereo. In that situation turning the downstream device off might help.

wyliec2

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
AV10, AV7705
Main Amp
Gemstone
Additional Amp
Emotiva
Other Amp
Buttkicker
Front Speakers
Dali
Front Wide Speakers
Dali
Center Channel Speaker
Dali
Surround Speakers
Dali
Thanks for your reply!! Your suggestion is one I hadn't considered - I will try running with my TV off as it is the only downstream HDMI device other than the AV10.

I wasn't clear - I primarily suspected either the AV10 or the laptop to be the issue and posted here due to the commonality of tools in use.

thothsong

Use a rear port on the AVR, not a front port. It might also be a problem with the adapter; you could look at some alternatives in that post.

wyliec2

More  
AV10, AV7705
Main Amp
Gemstone
Additional Amp
Emotiva
Other Amp
Buttkicker
Front Speakers
Dali
Front Wide Speakers
Dali
Center Channel Speaker
Dali
Surround Speakers
Dali
I'm hoping someone with an AV10 sees this and can comment on any issues they had to overcome or settings I'm not seeing.

First - I've pretty much got it figured out on the AV7705 which I was just using to test vis-a-vis my AV10. There were some issues involving CEC (changing source when TV is turned on) and ARC/eARC again involving the TV. I determined workarounds and can now routinely get a 7.1 feed from my PC to AV7705 via HDMI.

As earlier mentioned, this is not an REW issue. The connection can be verified as working or not working simply using the Windows Sound Settings.

1) Set the output to Marantz AVR at 24-bit 48000 Hz.
2) Use the TEST button to play test chimes.

If working, the processor will indicate 7.1 MultCh input and a chime will sequentially play through each of the 7.1 bed channel speakers.

When not working, the processor will indicate a 2-channel input and the PC will only play chimes for L & R channels.

In my theater with the AV10, I do not use any ARC/eARC or CEC.

Even absent these complications, I cannot get the AV10 to respond as a 7.1 channel device with the TV turned off or even disconnected. None of the workarounds I used on the AV7705 do anything for the AV10 - same laptop, cables, HDMI adapter, settings, etc.

As for the reply regarding rear ports and adapters, the AV10 only has rear ports - there is a USB front panel port and that's all. The AV7705 does have a front panel AUX1 HDMI input which is what I've successfully been using to connect the PC.

wyliec2

More  
AV10, AV7705
Main Amp
Gemstone
Additional Amp
Emotiva
Other Amp
Buttkicker
Front Speakers
Dali
Front Wide Speakers
Dali
Center Channel Speaker
Dali
Surround Speakers
Dali
FWIW - quick note on the final resolution and brief recap of the issue.

I have a laptop I was trying to connect to my AV10 via HDMI with REW being one use case. The problem I ran into was the laptop would not send a 7.1 signal to the AV10. By comparison, connecting the same laptop, using the same cables and content, worked fine connected to my AV7705. I couldn't figure out what was different with AV10 connectivity compared to the AV7705.

After a week of trying different things, the solution wound up being Windows configuration via the RUN command mmsys.cpl (something I'd never used). Inexplicably complicating matters is that for some magical reason, the AV7705 configuration was correct without requiring any manual intervention. In this case having two similar setups with one working and one not, led me to chase several dead-ends before a few comments about Windows 7.1 configuration got me to dig deeper

Anyway, through the power of online communities, the internet wins again! :)

Top Bottom