Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
Sting

front.jpg
Movie: :3.5stars:
Video: :4stars:
Audio: :4.5stars:
Extras: :2stars:
Final Score: :3.5stars:

AV NIRVANA is member and reader-supported. When you purchase an item using our links, we might earn an affiliate commission.

1.jpg
Movie

Creature features are a core staple of the horror genre, but it’s not THAT often that we get ones about spiders. Usually it’s a werewolf, an alien being, or some mutated bit of freakazoid lab experiment gone wrong, but flesh eating spiders is not THAT common. I mean sure, we had some comedic takes with Eight Legged Freaks or Big *** Spider, and Archnophobia is a stone cold classic, but most of the time that spiders have come into the genre it’s usually some C or D rated indie flick that is more camp than anything.

I originally wasn’t that interested from the initial press release, but the trailer for Sting actually intrigued me, and I figured I might as well give it a chance, and I’m kind of glad that I did. An Australian based film masquerading as being in New York City (I’m always amazed how well Aussies are at covering their very unique accent for films), Sting actually works as a low budget creature feature that pits man against an alien spider who just magically crash lands in a young girl’s apartment. Popcorn, lots of gore, and some clever camera angles to mask the dirt cheap budget, and we have a rather fun little scare fest.

Taking after Night of the Comet, an opening vignette introduces us to some sort of monster living in the halls of a New York apartment building, before jetting us back 4 days in time to when some sort of mini asteroid deposits an alien “egg” in said apartment. Turns out the egg is home to a tiny black and red spider who finds his way down into a young girl’s room named Charlotte (Alyla Brown) where she decides to put him in a jar and keep our little alien visitor as a pet. Naming him “Sting” (from “The Hobbit” in fact) she starts to feed the little beast cockroaches and other little bits of food around the house as she watches him grow.

2.jpg
Simultaneously we’re introduced to her step father Ethan (Ryan Corr) who is struggling to connect with Charlotte in the wake over father’s departure and his introduction into their life. To make matters worse, his job life is falling around him, as his main writing projects are drying up, and even his job as the apartment’s super is being taken from him by the miserly landowner (Robyn Nevin). However, all of this takes a side junket when Sting begins to grow a bit TOO big, and soon is out of control as it eats everything and everyone in the apartment complex one by one.

Sting is actually a rather clever little flick. Being that the Aussie film was not exactly endowed with a Marvel Studios budget, it makes do by showing us a ton of bloody gory corpses, but keeps the main spider monster out of sight a lot of the time to cut back on CGI costs. And while that usually is an eye roll moment for the viewer, they sort of lean into the nature of the beast and wink n’ nod at the camera when we notice that the monster is not shown on screen most of the time. It’s high on gore, plenty of very VERY creepy ambiance, and just enough camp to make things work. My only real complaint is that the final act gets a bit too cliched, and the final fight plays a bit too hard into the macho man camp element instead of the gory and creepy tone that came before it. Not a deal breaker, but you can tell that the final 20 minutes starts to slip as little bit as writer/director Kiah Roache-Turner struggles to wrap up EVERYTHING as neatly as she probably wanted to.

Rating:

Rated R for violent content, bloody images and language.

Video: :4stars:
3.jpg
Shocker of all shocker, I couldn’t find any information on the cameras used for the shoot, nor the resolution of the master. Judging by the low budget for the film and visual look of it, I’m leaning towards your typical 2K Digital Intermediate for the master. Of course, if any of you have any definitive information that I don’t, I’ll gladly updated it. That being said, this is a still a sharp and clean looking image for the most part. It’s got a teal and gray look to the image, with lots of time spent in dimly lit hallways, apartment rooms, and the grungy basement for the final confrontation with our arachnid/alien friend. There’s a lot of darkness going on, and the black levels actually look rather good for the most part. There some standard banding (although not too horrible, which surprised me) and some milky dark shots, but overall it’s a solid enough looking disc.

Audio: :4.5stars:
4.jpg
The 5.1 DTS-HD MA track is a bit more impressive, with a really strong sense of immersion and claustrophobia due to the cramped nature of being stuck entirely in an apartment building the entire shoot. The rattle and clatter of Sting’s little mandibles and “feet” skitter nicely along the surround channels as he runs through grates, and the jump scares implement a good amount of bass to kick start your butt leaping out of the chair. Dialog is strong and clean, and I actually never had an issue understanding anyone. Which surprised me as I was really expecting stronger Australian accents when I saw where this sucker was produced. All in all, a very effective powerful horror mix.

Extras: : :2stars:
5.jpg
• Behind the Scenes Featurettes
-- Creating the Monster
-- The Director
-- The Cast
• Theatrical Trailer
• Well Go USA Previews

Final Score: :3.5stars:

Sting is pretty fun for an indie monster movie. It’s not going to be an instant classic, but it creeped me out for a good hour straight, which is rare for a horror movie to do this days. Well formulated and decently executed, the Aussie horror flick works as a good popcorn munching time for those of us who like “check your brain at the door” monster movies. The Well Go USA presentation is very solid, with good video, great audio, and the typical anemic extras that are the norm for these releases. Solid enough, fun watch for the horror fans.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Ryan Corr, Alyla Browne, Penelope Mitchell, Jermaine Fowler
Directed by: Kiah Roache-Turner
Written by: Kiah Roache-Turner
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1 AVC
Audio: Korean: DTS-HD MA 5.1, English DD 2.0
Subtitles: English SDH, French
Studio: Well Go USA
Rated: R
Runtime: 92 minutes
Blu-Ray Release Date: July 30th, 2024
image.png

Recommendation: Fun Watch

Reactions: VJM

Sonnie Parker

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
ROON Nucleus One
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Middle Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivators - 4000ULF-TL x2 + 2400 x6
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
AVA Cinema
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | Lenovo X1 Carbon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Headphones/IEMs
HIFIMAN HE1000se / Unique Melody Mest MKII
Headphone DAC/Amp
WiiM Ultra / Topping DX9 / RME ADI-2 DAC FS / HIFIMAN Goldenwave Serenade
I thought, cool... a Sting concert. Then I get met with my worst fear - SPIDERS!!! Man, I hate spiders. I have killed TWO black widows in the last couple of weeks. I don't see too many of them, but man they get my attention when I do see one. If Fear Factor (or whatever that show was) had anything to do with spiders, I surely lose.

Sorry, Michael... not reading the review and not watching this one. :p

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Screen
60"
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
My son has been mentioning this one yet, he and my wife have fear of spiders lol.

Sonnie Parker

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
ROON Nucleus One
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Middle Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivators - 4000ULF-TL x2 + 2400 x6
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
AVA Cinema
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | Lenovo X1 Carbon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Headphones/IEMs
HIFIMAN HE1000se / Unique Melody Mest MKII
Headphone DAC/Amp
WiiM Ultra / Topping DX9 / RME ADI-2 DAC FS / HIFIMAN Goldenwave Serenade
So I might see one black widow spider around our property every few years... not very often at all. In the last few weeks, I have killed 5 (yes FIVE) black widow spiders.

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
So I might see one black widow spider around our property every few years... not very often at all. In the last few weeks, I have killed 5 (yes FIVE) black widow spiders.

it's because you haven't seen this film!!!! if you see it it will lift the curse!!!

(supposedly)

Sonnie Parker

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
ROON Nucleus One
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Middle Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL