Transmit sweep Signal from REW

caseopia

Registered
Hi John need a help here.

Normally we used a 3,5mm to rca cable for transmit sweep signal from REW to any DSP for car audio measurement.

Question is if the DSP only provide high level (18 pin socket) to original car audio head unit (which no AUX input).

How to transmit REW sweep signal to original car head unit?So we can get impulse measurement and phase result.

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Hi John need a help here.

Normally we used a 3,5mm to rca cable for transmit sweep signal from REW to any DSP for car audio measurement.

Question is if the DSP only provide high level (18 pin socket) to original car audio head unit (which no AUX input).

How to transmit REW sweep signal to original car head unit?So we can get impulse measurement and phase result.

You will need to measure using a playback file generated in REW. Start on this page, scroll to “measuring with file playback”. Follow the links in the section for additional how to.

caseopia

Registered
You will need to measure using a playback file generated in REW. Start on this page, scroll to “measuring with file playback”. Follow the links in the section for additional how to.

Oh i get it it's called offline measurement?

Problem that i don't get it is how to record the file from my system?Using a recorder from my android phone or what

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX, Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
Use the REW Generator function to create a .wav file... You would end up with a .wav file containing a sweep with a timing reference that can be transferred to a CD or USB jump drive that you play thru your signal chain (read audio head unit)... Or even transfer the .wav sweep file to your phone if you use that as your playback device for your signal chain... Use a separate laptop with a usb mic running REW to capture the measurement...

Screen Shot 2024-06-29 at 4.58.40 PM.png

Last edited:

caseopia

Registered
Use the REW Generator function to create a .wav file... You would end up with a .wav file containing a sweep with a timing reference that can be transferred to a CD or USB jump drive that you play thru your signal chain (read audio head unit)... Or even transfer the .wav sweep file to your phone if you use that as your playback device for your signal chain... Use a separate laptop with a usb mic running REW to capture the measurement...

View attachment 71886
Thank you sir for your guidance. My brain cannot catch after i play with head unit.

I mean how to capture measurement on other laptop using REW and umik-1?
Use record on RTA or how?

Thank you beforehand

caseopia

Registered
Please read the help I have now linked twice. There is no connection to the unit, the unit plays back a file.
Yes John been read it plenty of times and still don't get it the part after i play on my head unit.

How to capture the sound with REW on other laptop?

And how i get value (timing ref trim) to fill in the red box i attach?

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
You don't need to change the timing ref trim, leave it at zero. It is just like making a normal measurement except after pressing start on the measurement when REW shows "waiting for timing reference" you play the file. It is NOT offline measurement.

caseopia

Registered
You don't need to change the timing ref trim, leave it at zero. It is just like making a normal measurement except after pressing start on the measurement when REW shows "waiting for timing reference" you play the file. It is NOT offline measurement.
Ok let me type one by one and please correct me if my understanding are wrongs:

1. open REW and connect the UMIK-1 as usual
2. click generator icon on top right of the REW screen then choose sweeps box + measurement box under it
3. click save to file on bottom of the screen and click WAV right under the screen.
4. move that file to any data container (i choose USB flashdrive) and play it on my car head unit
5. on my other laptop that connected to UMIK-1 open REW and click measure
6. change the timing to wired timing reference and playback option to from file
7. then i will get the result.

Is that it John?

Top Bottom