Volume / balance sliders don’t do anything in Mac Mini

PK1

I have a Mac Mini (late 2014 running on Monterey 12.7.5) as a streaming source for Apple Music. The Mac feeds a Denafrips Iris DDC using USB, and from there it goes to a Denafrips Pontus II using I2S.

The stereo image seems a little skewed to the right of center, and given that my room is asymmetrical I thought I’d play with the volume settings on the L/R channel to see if I could compensate for it. In the Midi app, I can see a volume slider for each channel, but the sliders don’t change anything. I can slide them all the way down, and it mutes when I reach the lowest setting, but it doesn’t attenuate at all between 0-100%. It’s either on at 100% or off at 0%, no difference in between. Similarly, if I click the mute checkbox it mutes, but that is the extent of what I can do there.

I then went to the “Sound” app and played with the Balance slider and again, it didn’t do anything at all. I can slide it left to right, but nothing changes. Same with the master volume slider. Rebooting the Mac didn’t change anything.

Any suggestions?

Edit: the behavior is the same in the “Music” App equalizer. I can slide the volume up and down, the same with the frequency setting, but no change occurs.

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape Strato C/Terra 48TB/Compact Terra 6TB
Front Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Reference Cinema
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Rear Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Subwoofers
SVS SB2000 x2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA X790R, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240
Screen
SeymourAV Proscenium 124” diagonal 2.40:1
Remote Control
Unfolded Circle Remote 2, powered by HomeAssistant
Streaming Equipment
PLEX Server, AppleTV4K, Bluesound Node2i
Streaming Subscriptions
AppleTV+, Amazon Prime, HBO Max
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
When you're using an external DAC, all the audio controls on your Mac are bypassed - they're applied to the analog output. I use a Universal Audio Arrow and I have to use the UA software/hardware combo to make adjustments.

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX, Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
You might also take a look at something like Blackhole to route/reroute your MacOS internal sound and a Plugin Host/player and a Stereo Balance and/or EQ Plugin that would include L/R Balance...

I use Blackhole + Hang Loose Host and any number of plugin EQs, some are free and some are not...

See also this post: https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/how-do-you-eq-treat-this-room.13728/post-103830

Last edited:
Reactions: PK1

PK1

When you're using an external DAC, all the audio controls on your Mac are bypassed - they're applied to the analog output. I use a Universal Audio Arrow and I have to use the UA software/hardware combo to make adjustments.
Thanks Travis. I thought it might be something like this, but then I thought they would have probably greyed out the settings instead of allowing the user to make adjustments without any effect!

PK1

You might also take a look at something like Blackhole to route/reroute your MacOS internal sound and a Plugin Host/player and a Stereo Balance and/or EQ Plugin that would include L/R Balance...

I use Blackhole + Hang Loose Host and any number of plugin EQs, some are free and some are not...

See also this post: https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/how-do-you-eq-treat-this-room.13728/post-103830
Thanks. We went through this a few weeks ago in the other thread (that was me!) and I was going to do exactly this, but I’ve since been thinking about getting a dedicated streamer so I didn’t bother downloading and setting up the apps. I think I’ll do this now to experiment before (if) getting a streamer.

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX, Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
Yes, I know that was you... I don't know if a streamer (depending on the streamer control app) will give you the additional control your looking for... And may only complicate things depending on what and how your streamer interfaces with your pc and the network a streamer usually interfaces with across a network... A lot to learn and consider... I use a streamer and I like it a lot... Use Qobuz to stream hirez content... And use Audirvana as my player/control app and as a plugin host... Roon works too... Have fun...

PK1

It’s not for the control, I know I can have a lot more control with software on the Mac. It’s more about the user friendliness of a dedicated streamer (with a good app) vs. having to sit in front of my TV with a keyboard and mouse in my lap. I’ve got a mirroring app but the experience sucks, and the keyboard is much easier in comparison, albeit still inconvenient.

I did some room treatment and got the sound better in my room, but the stereo image is a little to the side so I thought I’d experiment to see if I can digitally fix it before deciding to buy a streamer, because as you said, I’d likely have less control with a streamer. If digital treatment couldn’t address the issue I’d keep focusing on room treatment, but if it did, I’d either get a streamer with the type of controls I need, or get better software for the Mac and stick to it.

Top Bottom