What would be needed to use Audiolense (2.4 system)

Mike-48

I have a 2-channel system with 4 subs. I'm currently using a DAC-Preamp (Anthem STR) that provides DSP DRC and crossovers. I am considering trying Audiolense. As one who has used DSP preamps for almost 20 years, I never had to think about coordinating a lot of equipment, and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how Audiolense would work in my situation.

I understand I could use a Windows laptop and my UNIK-2 to generate the filters. (Right?)

If I replaced the Anthem preamp, what else would I need? Could my Roon core (a NUC on the home network) serve as the convolver and/or crossover? If so, how would I go from its Ethernet output to analog signals to drive power amps and subs? I assume I'd need a 3- or 4-channel DAC (or more), but I'm not sure how to get the signal from the network to the DAC(s). I'm currently using a 2-channel "streamer" (Auralic Aries).

I would like to avoid having a general-purpose computer in the listening room.

I'm trying to get at least to the flow-chart stage of this, so I can think about it. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Mike

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
You need to run Windows OS to measure the speakers and create filters. And if you want to correct the subs individualy you need a soundcard or dac with 6 output channels or something that works to the same effect. The PC needs to see all channels that Audiolense is going to correct.

The other option is to configure and integrate the subs outside of the PC and only let the PC correct mains plus subs as a regular pair of stereo speakers.

IMO the ideal solution is a multichannel sound card and a microphone that you plug into one of the input channels.

Yes, you can run the filters in Roon.

asibbald

Registered
Bernt, I'm in exactly the same situation as Mike-48. I understand your answer - reasonably enough, it is about how to create the filters in the first place - which is what Audiolense is for.

However, I *think* most of Mike-48's question (and certainly my main question) is how to use those filters, once created, in Roon.

Perhaps this is a question more for a Roon forum, but the question I'm struggling with is, once one has converted the two stereo channels in Roon core into the 6 channels ( L + R + 4 subs ) whether:

a) To send all 6 channels via RAAT to a single Roon end point which is connected to a DAC with at least 6 channels - or:

b) If one can send the 6 channels to (say) three Roon endpoints, each with a stereo DAC - one for L + R, another for SUB1 + SUB2 and the third for SUB3 + SUB4

sledwards

Mike-48/Asibald:

I have been down the path you are both considering with excellent results on several systems and can offer up some advice. First, DO NOT go down the path of multiple DACs. Although some have had limited success doing it, is is complicated, can be expensive and is really not required to enjoy the benefits of AL

With 4 subs, the key to success comes before AL. Placement is key, and trial-and-error evaluation is necessary. I recommend to use REW to perform quick FR sweeps to aid in placement, adjusting the output level and crossover point for each sub using the subwoofer's amplifier controls.

Start with your 2-channel DAC. Create AL generated 2-channel convolution filters for Roon's convolver. Roon help file will tell you how and where to load the convolution files.

Should you decide to proceed to a full multi-channel approach with digital crossovers between your subs and main speakers, a reasonable priced solution is the Motu Utralite mk5: https://motu.com/en-us/products/gen5/ultralite-mk5/. This solution will give you the flexibility and benefit of full time and phase alignment between your subs and mains. Plus, the Motu is also a microphone preamp which allows you use a simple powered microphone for AL measurements. Having both input and ouput on one device is a real benefit when using AL. Six channels of convolution filters can be generated and loaded into Roon, where Roon will then do the math required to send 6 discrete, filtered channels to the multichannel DAC for playback.

Hope this helps in some way to start your journey into multi-sub with room correction.

Steve

asibbald

Registered
Steve,

Thanks very much - that is exactly the sort of practical advice I was looking for.

I already have and use a Motu Ultralight mk5, so I'll take your advice and do it that way.

Essentially, one ethernet cable to the Roon endpoint/Motu and then six balanced analogue cables from that to the power amps driving the L/R and 4 subs.

Thanks again for the advice.

Top Bottom