What TV series are you watching now?

VJM

Staff member
Bright Side Crew
I've been sick as a dog with a generic body flu the last week, so I binge watched all 4 seasons of "12 Monkeys"

I had forgotten just HOW GOOD the show was. it's not PERFECT, but the series is one of the most slept on sci-fi shows in modern history. It's one of those "If you liked Fringe you will love this" type of shows.

View attachment 73465
Thanks, adding this one to my list

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
Thanks, adding this one to my list

let me know what you think. Personally I think it's one of the most slept on sci-fi shows of the last decade, and it has gained a rabidly intense cult fandom already.
Personally it terms of story telling, ability to tie up loose ends, and cohesiveness, it's actually really impressive. It's in my top 5 sci-fi shows of all time along with (in no particular order except Farscape)

1. Farscape
2. ST: TNG
3. Babylon 5
4. Fringe
5. 12 Monkeys

Reactions: VJM

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
let me know what you think. Personally I think it's one of the most slept on sci-fi shows of the last decade, and it has gained a rabidly intense cult fandom already.
Personally it terms of story telling, ability to tie up loose ends, and cohesiveness, it's actually really impressive. It's in my top 5 sci-fi shows of all time along with (in no particular order except Farscape)

1. Farscape
3. Babylon 5
4. Fringe
5. 12 Monkeys
That’s high praise indeed!

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Subwoofers
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Video Display Device
That’s high praise indeed!

I said what I said lol....

It's going to feel more like Fringe than the others just with some Babylon 5 elements thrown in (mostly in how it can foreshadow things in one season with a single throwaway line, and then come back and compelete that piece of the puzzle some 2-3 seasons later...Babylon 5 was incredible at this), but it does a MUCH better job tying everything together than Fringe did. Don't get me wrong, I love Fringe, but it had problems due to studio interference (constantly looking over their shoulders to see if they were canceled or not) and J.J. Abrams is NOTORIOUS for creating some amazing puzzles, but never actually fully answering them..The show was mostly saved because Walter is one of the best written and nuanced characters of all time and acted to perfection by John Noble, plus Oliva and Joshua Jackson's Peter had such amazing chemistry.

I'm going to say it again, 12 Monkeys is one of the most slept on sci-fi shows of the last decade and a half. No question. It's frustrating not only because Universal got lazy with the last two seasons and basically made them overpriced and hard to get as they went MOD for those two seasons (Mill Creek picked up the license from Universal and pretty much just repressed their discs, so it doesn't fall prey to the encoding butchery that Mill Creek is notorious for), but SyFy themselves made it VERY difficult to watch on air as they took down all web access to the show after the first season.

but luckily the complete series is a very solid re-pressing of the Universal individual seasons and it's DIRT cheap right now. I honestly can't reccomend it enough. I almost want to go back and do an official review of it (I reviewed the 1st season) but my giant writeup and mullings for the series is at 13 pages right now and would need some serious trimming lol

Last edited:

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Other Speakers or Equipment
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+

1. Farscape
3. Babylon 5
4. Fringe
5. 12 Monkeys
The fact that The Expanse is not on this list says a lot. I'd put it ahead of Babylon 5 anyday.

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Subwoofers
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Video Display Device
The fact that The Expanse is not on this list says a lot. I'd put it ahead of Babylon 5 anyday.

I haven't finished that yet, even though I love it... the last 2 seasons I never got and I wanted to wait and finish the series off before I gave it an official rating

but yes, so far The Expanse has taken the top place of best "dark gritty sci-fi" away from Battlestar Galactica (which was great up until the absolutely fall off the cliff 4th season) so far.

VJM

Staff member
Bright Side Crew
but SyFy themselves made it VERY difficult to watch on air as they took down all web access to the show after the first season.
Yeah I noticed it's not streaming anywhere other than for purchase, but it's much cheaper to purchase the complete Blu-Ray set then purchasing from Apple etc

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Subwoofers
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Video Display Device
Yeah I noticed it's not streaming anywhere other than for purchase, but it's much cheaper to purchase the complete Blu-Ray set then purchasing from Apple etc

it used to be on Hulu for a while, but they took it down about 6 months ago. No streaming service has it except for the ability to purchase season by season (like Amazon or Vudu or Apple). And yeah, the Mill Creek Boxset is a steal.

(adding a direct link below for those who want to grab it)

image.png

Reactions: VJM

JBrax

AV Addict
More  
Marantz sr7010
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung K8500
Front Speakers
Klipsch rf-7 II
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch rc-64 II
Surround Speakers
Klipsch rs-42 II
Surround Back Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Subwoofers
SVS PB12-NSD (X2)
Rear Height Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Other Speakers or Equipment
Panamax M5300
Video Display Device
Sony Bravia XBR65-930D
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony One
Streaming Subscriptions
PS4
Silo was a good one that the wife and I both enjoyed.

Top Bottom