REW Beta Release REW API beta releases

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Can you also add the new "Better delay" metric shown in Alignment tool to alignment-tool/result API?
Note that you could also run the alignment with larger limits to see what the unconstrained result is.

thothsong

Which graph are you viewing? Have you selected just one measurement to move or are other measurements in the group selected?
I'm still trying to understand all the details of how groups are supposed to work. I have Make groups from filenames enabled. I open a file with multiple measurements in it, and they appear in a group. I go to All SPL, and expand that group. I then try to left-click-and-drag the first measurement down lower in the list, and it shows me an indication of where it will be placed, but when I release the mouse button, the measurement doesn't actually move.

thothsong

Sorry, I see my mistake now. I didn't clue in to the "+15 others" in the drag animation, to understand that it was dragging all of the measurements, not just the one I clicked on. Seems kinda clumsy to me that I have to clear all selections (which causes them to disappear from the graph), then select the single measurement, then drag it to a new position, then select all of the measurements again. Do I have that right?

serko70

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz SR6015
Main Amp
Rotel Michi X3
DAC
Oppo 205
Computer Audio
Intel NUC
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 205
Front Speakers
Focal Kanta 2
Center Channel Speaker
Linn
Surround Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Surround Back Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Front Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Subwoofers
Focal Air
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Video Display Device
LG 65 3D OLED
Streaming Subscriptions
TIDAL, ROON
Note that you could also run the alignment with larger limits to see what the unconstrained result is.
Actually, I don't really need it in the API and when the error message changes from "delay too large" to something else, I will need to revise the script but I just wondered after seeing it in the actual tool if it were also available in the API. It's a cool data to know when you are working with tight limits.

Tikkidy

FAQ # 101

I want to try the beta but obviously don't want to screw up my stable setup (if it ain't broke don't fix it)

Does anyone run both an official release of REW, and the latest Beta on the same (Windows) PC? Is it as simple as installing it into a different folder/location?
Any practical issues I should be aware of?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
You can install to a separate folder but both installations will share the same preferences and double-clicking mdat files will open the most recently installed version.

serko70

More  
Marantz SR6015
Main Amp
Rotel Michi X3
DAC
Oppo 205
Computer Audio
Intel NUC
Oppo 205
Front Speakers
Focal Kanta 2
Center Channel Speaker
Linn
Surround Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Surround Back Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Front Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Subwoofers
Focal Air
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Video Display Device
LG 65 3D OLED
Streaming Subscriptions
TIDAL, ROON
Dear John,

I was actually looking for a way to upload a reference file with the API with "from file" method but I guess there's not one?

Edit: I think I found it!

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I was actually looking for a way to upload a reference file with the API with "from file" method but I guess there's not one?

Edit: I think I found it!
I don't think there is an endpoint for that, what did you find? I have added a /measure/file-playback-stimulus endpoint for the next build.

serko70

More  
Marantz SR6015
Main Amp
Rotel Michi X3
DAC
Oppo 205
Computer Audio
Intel NUC
Oppo 205
Front Speakers
Focal Kanta 2
Center Channel Speaker
Linn
Surround Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Surround Back Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Front Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Subwoofers
Focal Air
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Video Display Device
LG 65 3D OLED
Streaming Subscriptions
TIDAL, ROON

Breeman

Hi John,

I have not used the EQ feature for sometime and I think I am doing something wrong.
When adjusting the Target level in EQ, the level of the Filters adjusts in tandem such that setting the Target Level at zero pushes the Filters adjusting further down which makes it difficult to see the Target and the Filters curves in one screen. Is this the intended behavoir?
I see one can also set the Target Level in the Equaliser Tab of the Preference screen, however, setting it to zero within the Preference screen does not seem to change its level within EQ.

The behavior is in
both versions of the sofftware.

sm52

John, good afternoon. I measured the capacitors, all measurements are normal. But there are two 1.5 uF each, when REW did not want to show the component model. When I measured the two of them, the model of the components became possible to see.

Attachments

• impedance.zip
    14.4 MB · Views: 29

sm52

Two questions. When the 'Open' button is pressed in the main window, the explorer opens with alternating white and dark gray lines. Black names on a dark gray background, with white lines above and below, are very difficult to perceive; the eyes are very strained. Can dark gray be made pale gray?

Before measuring the impedance, I did a calibration. The first measurement is an open circuit. For measurement 1, the 'info' button shows an empty field in the 'Data offset' line. For measurement 2 (also an open circuit), the 'Data offset' line has the correct information. For measurement 3 (short circuit), the 'Data offset' line has the same information as measurement 2. Measurement 4 has the correct information in the 'Data offset' line, but some other measurements also had incorrect (biased) information.

Attachments

• impedance 2.mdat
    17.7 MB · Views: 41

serko70

More  
Marantz SR6015
Main Amp
Rotel Michi X3
DAC
Oppo 205
Computer Audio
Intel NUC
Oppo 205
Front Speakers
Focal Kanta 2
Center Channel Speaker
Linn
Surround Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Surround Back Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Front Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Subwoofers
Focal Air
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Video Display Device
LG 65 3D OLED
Streaming Subscriptions
TIDAL, ROON
Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but is there a way to select a measurement as "active" with the mouse in the "All SPL" tab, so that the Info/IR windows display its details? The ALT + cursor keys method works, but it can require many keystrokes when there are numerous measurements uploaded.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Builds updated today (beta 47) with these changes:
  • Added: Alignment tool in phase alignment mode has a check box for whether the summed phase trace should be shown
  • Added: Impulse overlay graph has actions for time align, align IR start and cross corr. align
  • Added: Show full path for entries in recently used files list as tooltips
  • Added: API has a /measure/file-playback-stimulus endpoint to get/set the path to the stimulus file
  • Fixed: The error message for impulse alignment outside available delay range includes the delay required
  • Fixed: Some WAV files could not be opened correctly if the file length did not match the WAV specification

John Mulcahy

REW Author
When adjusting the Target level in EQ, the level of the Filters adjusts in tandem such that setting the Target Level at zero pushes the Filters adjusting further down which makes it difficult to see the Target and the Filters curves in one screen. Is this the intended behavoir?
Yes. The filters aim to bring the response to the target, so their response is drawn centred about the target level. The target normally follows the target level, unless you are using a house curve which is not relative to zero.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
When the 'Open' button is pressed in the main window, the explorer opens with alternating white and dark gray lines. Black names on a dark gray background, with white lines above and below, are very difficult to perceive; the eyes are very strained. Can dark gray be made pale gray?
The alternate rows appear fairly light to me (see below), but I can lighten them further.
1722681801872.png

Before measuring the impedance, I did a calibration. The first measurement is an open circuit. For measurement 1, the 'info' button shows an empty field in the 'Data offset' line. For measurement 2 (also an open circuit), the 'Data offset' line has the correct information. For measurement 3 (short circuit), the 'Data offset' line has the same information as measurement 2. Measurement 4 has the correct information in the 'Data offset' line, but some other measurements also had incorrect (biased) information.
The text shows the calibrations which had been completed when the measurement was made, not what the measurement itself is. I can change that to avoid confusion.

sm52

but I can lighten them further.
Different computers. With and without screen calibration. Will be better.
I can change that to avoid confusion.
Yes. And it would be good if this text for short circuit calibration indicated the short circuit resistance value obtained as a result of the second step.
Added: Impulse overlay graph has actions for time align, align IR start and cross corr. align
I checked it. Good stuff. Thank you. But after one use it becomes inactive. If you apply it to the selected three graphs, then select three others, it remains inactive. I even closed REW, opened it with the same measurements (did not save the previous correction), and this function is no longer active.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
there are two 1.5 uF each, when REW did not want to show the component model
Those measurements failed the low frequency phase check. I can adjust the test, in the meantime if you start your measurement at 20 Hz you should be able to generate a component model for them. The rig's short circuit impedance seems a little high, reducing that might also help.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
it would be good if this text for short circuit calibration indicated the short circuit resistance value obtained as a result of the second step.
There is no single value, it is measured versus frequency.

No higher than what short circuit resistance should the rig be?
There is no particular limit, but lower is better.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Builds updated today (beta 48) with these changes:
  • Added: All SPL measurement right click menu has an action to make a measurement the current selection for individual graphs
  • Changed: Use lighter shading for alternate rows in tables with the Light theme, including the file dialog
  • Changed: Info frame data offset text for impedance cal measurements updated to reflect cal type
  • Changed: Adjusted capacitor component model validity check
  • Fixed: Impulse overlay graph actions for time align, align IR start and cross corr. align were disabled after first use

sm52

Changed: Use lighter shading for alternate rows in tables with the Light theme, including the file dialog
Super. Everything is easy to read. The eyes don't strain. Thank you.
Fixed: Impulse overlay graph actions for time align, align IR start and cross corr. align were disabled after first use
Everything works well. Thank you.
Knowing how much the graphs have been shifted is useful outside of REW. Can I see it somewhere?

Top Bottom