REW Beta Release REW API beta releases

Cristianolo

About T/S parameters.
In previous versions it was possible to obtain basic speaker parameters without having the impedance curve with mass added to the cone.
Currently, clicking on Calculate gives an error message, which is understandable.
But would it be possible to show the data provided previously again? It's particularly useful when you want to quickly compare speakers from a batch, where basic data such as Fs, Qms, Qes and Qts already give you a good idea of the deviations of each product.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
In previous versions it was possible to obtain basic speaker parameters without having the impedance curve with mass added to the cone.
That's still possible, but there isn't a way to clear a secondary measurement if one has already been selected. I'll make a change so that selecting the free air measurement clears any secondary measurement selections.

sm52

In the soundcard window I selected java drivers. There is no soundcard calibration file for this case. Then I select the ASIO driver, for which there is a soundcard calibration file. But REW does not automatically select it, leaving the previous selection.

Attachments

• soundcard window.JPG
    soundcard window.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Cal files window.JPG
    Cal files window.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 8

sm52

I didn't think about it. But, if there is a soundcard calibration file for the ASIO driver, and I selected the ASIO driver, then the calibration file should appear in its place in the soundcard window for possible use.

phofman

Yeah, REW cannot know the two devices named differently, accessed through different backends, are in fact one.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I select the ASIO driver, for which there is a soundcard calibration file. But REW does not automatically select it, leaving the previous selection.
I have fixed that for the next build.

sm52

I closed REW. Opened it again. Java drivers are selected by default. The output device is also selected by default. Then I switch the driver to ASIO, these are different devices, but REW does not notice this. Leaving the soundcard calibration file selection field blank. This is the answer for Pavel.

Attachments

• soundcard window 2.JPG
    soundcard window 2.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 5

phofman

I closed REW. Opened it again. Java drivers are selected by default. The output device is also selected by default. Then I switch the driver to ASIO, these are different devices, but REW does not notice this. Leaving the soundcard calibration file selection field blank. This is the answer for Pavel.
Thanks, John has already lightning-fast fixed that. These bugs are extremely easy to make, the lovely joys of GUI programming...

greatadrian

Hi John,
Couple of observations (non-exhaustive list) w.r.t. spec and inner workings:
  • POST /measure/lfe-end-frequency is incorrectly described as bool, whereas it should be int.
  • GET /measure/timing/offset is returning float (not integer as defined in spec)
  • GET /measure/timing/reference/acoustic/trim (similarly to above it does return float)
  • GET /measure/timing/reference/wired/trim (similar to above)

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Hi John,
Couple of observations (non-exhaustive list) w.r.t. spec and inner workings:
  • POST /measure/lfe-end-frequency is incorrectly described as bool, whereas it should be int.
  • GET /measure/timing/offset is returning float (not integer as defined in spec)
  • GET /measure/timing/reference/acoustic/trim (similarly to above it does return float)
  • GET /measure/timing/reference/wired/trim (similar to above)
Thanks, I have fixed those for the next build.

Dr.OP

Staff member
@John Mulcahy
In betas 33-35 ( works in 5.31.1) I cannot make a sweep from file.
- start measurement
- drop wav file
- error
Java:
REW V5.40 Beta 33 running Azul Systems, Inc. JRE 1.8.0_412 64-bit on Windows 10 Locale: language en, keyboard US, windows-1252 on 1536x864 at 96 DPI Running in C:\Program Files\REW

Stack Trace:
    roomeqwizard.XE.A(y:2882)
    roomeqwizard.QL.K(y:521)
    roomeqwizard.QL.run(y:1136)

John Mulcahy

REW Author
start measurement
- drop wav file
- error
I don't understand the sequence. If you are measuring from file the file to be used has to be passed to REW before starting the measurement so that it can configure itself to suit the file's sweep settings.

Dr.OP

Staff member
I don't understand the sequence. If you are measuring from file the file to be used has to be passed to REW before starting the measurement so that it can configure itself to suit the file's sweep settings.
- I start a new measurement
- I drop a wav file with a sweep on the measurement dialog and it shows the signal waveform
- I click start to begin the measurement and this is where error is thrown out.

Maybe it’s issue with a wav file, but the same file works in REW 5.31.1

Dr.OP

Staff member
Hi John,

There is an option to take multiple measurements for the REW generated sweep. Would it be possible to implement multiple measurements for the file based measurement?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Builds updated today (beta 36) with these changes:
  • Added: Options panel for FSAF measurement with options for saving the excitation, mic input and LTI response for file measurements
  • Changed: When TS params free air measurement is selected clear any secondary measurement selections
  • Changed: Do not show message for changes in configurable equaliser settings
  • Changed: Use stochastic optimiser for configurable equalisers with frequency step 1 Hz or greater
  • Fixed: Generating EQ for measurements with differing configurable equaliser settings could cause exceptions
  • Fixed: CamillaDSP yaml indentation
  • Fixed: Selecting an ASIO driver did not update the soundcard cal choice
  • Fixed: POST /measure/lfe-end-frequency type incorrectly described as Boolean, should be Integer
  • Fixed: GET /measure/timing/offset return type is Double, not integer
  • Fixed: GET /measure/timing/reference/acoustic/trim return type is Double, not integer
  • Fixed: GET /measure/timing/reference/wired/trim return type is Double, not integer
  • Fixed: Measuring with file playback caused an exception
  • Fixed: Peak of rms + phase average IR could end up in the wrong place

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Would it be possible to implement multiple measurements for the file based measurement?
I don't see how that would be practical, since REW would have to keep stopping and prompting the user to play the file again.

Dr.OP

Staff member
I don't see how that would be practical, since REW would have to keep stopping and prompting the user to play the file again.
I see it practical in two ways:
- multiple sweeps with the same wav to lover the measurements noise
- atmos sweeps for all speakers in one go

I was thinking about the following workflow:
- start a measurement
- drop the wav file
- select how many sweeps will follow with the same wav
- specify names one per line (optional, but nice)
- run a playlist/loop bitstream sweep

I think other people will vouch for the similar use case with the wav sweep.

sm52

I see it practical in two ways:
- multiple sweeps with the same wav to lover the measurements noise
- atmos sweeps for all speakers in one go
I support the proposal. Let's say REW can iterate through the output channels and name each measurement according to the output channel. But REW cannot start playing a wav file on any external device. Only the user can do this.
And for the case when REW is connected via HDMI and sees all the lower channels in the receiver, and the sweep is taken not from a file, but from an internal generator, REW could make a series of automatic measurements.
Although this can be done through the API, it seems to me.

Top Bottom